Mike White, Richard Linklater and Jack Black are getting back together to make a sequel to School of Rock. This is fantastic news, and the story idea mentioned in the article sounds pretty solid and full of potential.
School of Rock is a combination of some of my favorite things – an ode to rock music, a showcase of amazing young musical talent and Jack Black at his best. When this came out, I thought it was one of the best movies of the year.
When my daughter was born, I sat around the house waiting for her to be old enough to see it. Figuring two was old enough, we put it on. Since then, we have School of Rock to thank for…
- random bursts of the “Immigrant Song” coming from the back of our car when we drive
- repeated plays of “Tribute” for two years running
- my daughter’s interest in all music and her early desire to learn piano
- our shared desire to see Jack Black in nearly anything he produces
- her appreciation for music beyond The Wiggles (some of you have no idea the bullet that was dodged with this one)
White, Linklater and Black are a threesome in whom I have faith to deliver again, so I’m looking forward to it.
And, as mentioned, the “Immigrant Song” scene in School of Rock was one of my favorites. Here’s a behind-the-scenes on what they went through to get permission to use it…